Sale of Eardisley Estate 1918

The Sale of the Eardisley Estate in 1918.

The sale of the Eardisley Estate in 1918 was a significant event in which practically the whole village and many of the farms in the parish were auctioned. The Catalogue of that Sale is a fascinating snapshot of the village at that time. Each property is described in detail, with the tenants, their rents, and the taxes payable all listed.

Memorandum of sale (PDF)
Particulars for the Sale of the Eardisley Estate 1918 (PDF)

The Catalogue has been transcribed in its entirety, retaining as far as possible in A4 the format and pagination of the original folio document. The bracketed names in italics list the purchaser and the price paid, as noted by Alderman William Davies at the sale. These are not complete, and have not been verified. The photographs from the catalogue are included in the photographic archive. The History Group is grateful to Mr Clive Davies and the Weobley History Society for access to copies of the original catalogue, and the late Mrs Lily Barron for the Memorandum of Sale.

The Eardisley Estate

Throughout the eighteenth century the Eardisley Estate was the subject of protracted legal actions. It was eventually purchased by James Perry of Wolverhampton in 1783, and inherited by his son Thomas in 1808. As well as enlarged the estate by the purchasing additional properties as they became available, successive owners also used the property as a means of continuing their name. Perry left his considerable fortune to his nephew William Herrick on condition that he adopted the name Perry-Herrick. When Perry-Herrick died in a hunting accident in 1876 the estate was left to the Hon Montague Curzon with the proviso that whoever became entitled to the properties should also adopt the surname Herrick.

Montague Curzon died in 1907 and his son William had access to the trusts set up to administer the estate. When William Perry-Herrick’s widow Sophia died in 1915, William Curzon added Herrick to his name. Two years later new Trustees were appointed and Curzon-Herrick borrowed £20,000 from the estate. These, and other debts, forced the sale of the estate later that year.