Explore the map with your mouse. When it turns to a hand, click to reveal information.
The Kington Tram Road Company built the Wharf in 1828 to administer the weighing and assembly of trams on the line which had arrived in Eardisley in 1818. The records of the company reveal that the building cost £244 9s 4d, with a further £41 12 s 0d spent to provide extra stables.
Traces of an earlier seventeenth century timber frame house are still visible in the south east part of this building which has undergone many phases of change and development since then. Throughout much of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries it was the home of the Vicar or Rector. It is now a private home.
The brick house was completed in about 1705 and is almost square in plan, with a façade in which the windows are slightly offset. It was built on the site of Eardisley castle by a London merchant, William Barnesley, and was for many years the hub of Eardisley Manor and the meeting place for the Manorial Courts Leet and Baron. It later became a farmhouse and ultimately a private home.
Dating back to the twelfth century the Church continues to be at the centre of the village community. Its Font is a superb example of the workmanship of the 'Herefordshire School' of stone masons who were responsible for many outstanding carvings in the area between about 1130 and 1160.
Built in 1857 on land donated by the owners of the manor, the Perry-Herricks, the school originally included a house for the head teacher. When this became vacant in the 1970s it was incorporated into the school as offices and staff rooms. The original buildings are still in use, although they have been adapted and extended.
Built as a petrol depot for the American Army in the Second World War this site provided post-war accommodation for refugees, before becoming a timber processing yard. It is has now been divided up into industrial units.
The three ranges of barns in this Close were converted to domestic use in the 1960s. All were thought to date from the seventeenth century but tree-ring dating sponsored by the History Group in 2004 revealed that the northern range was built from timber felled in 1530-31.
A mill on this site was described in sale particulars from the 1770s, but it seems likely that the use of this site for milling extends further back than this. The current mill originally housed a single pitch-back water wheel driving mill stones for grinding corn, before a second wheel was added and then abandoned.
This house dates from between 1509 and 1530 when a substantial timber-framed hall house was built on the site. The house has been much altered and was re-fronted in brick during the eighteenth century. The timber-frame side wall of the cross wing of the original house is still visible along the north side. At the time of the Estate Sale in 1981 it was let to Mr Samuel Charles Davies at an annual rent of £23 9s 7d.
This range, now forming three separate cottages, was probably built in the fifteenth century as a hall house, with number 10 occupying the service accommodation, number 11 the central open hall and number 12 the 'upper' domestic end. The manorial record shows that these houses were privately owned until bought by the Eardisley Estate in the latter half of the nineteenth century.
The southern part of this cottage is timber framed and probably dates from the seventeenth century. The northern part contains a fragment of wall framing from the original building on the site, probably a fifteenth century cruck building. This building housed the village post office for much of the last century, and was the village telephone exchange until the 1960s
The rendered facade of this house hides an early eighteenth century timber frame. In the 1950s Miss Brown and Miss Powell kept cows and provided the village with milk, which Miss Brown delivered on her bicycle. When the cows were sold in 1963 the milk was bought from a wholesaler and delivered in a modern estate car.
This sixteenth century house has an unusual L shaped plan, and a spectacular lean to the gable of the cross wing. In the past it has housed a blacksmith, provided tied cottages for agricultural workers, and been an electrical engineers shop. It is currently undergoing restoration.
The main façade of this house is probably of eighteenth century date; however the roof contains timbers almost certainly from a fifteenth century cruck hall. The timbers of the north range have been dated to 1560-80. From about 1840 Bridge House was the home of the village doctor. The last was Quintin Darling who used the bungalow opposite as his surgery before his retirement in 1935. A popular and talented man he also carved the cover for the Church Font.
Originally built as a Malt house in the eighteenth century, in the twentieth century this building was at times a garage, a recording studio, a pipe fitters shop and more recently houses. A large shed behind the house was the store for the village Fire Engine until the current purpose built unit was completed in 1966.
The Reading Room was built in 1880 when the room within the Institute Cottage which had previously served this purpose was converted to a public refreshment room. The Billiard room was built in 1908 as a larger room for the Village Institute. Both were paid for by Mrs Perry Herrick who was keen to provide villagers with alternative forms of entertainment to the public house.
The Village hall was to have been opened on the 29th January 1901, but the death of Queen Victoria seven days before that date meant that the event was postponed. By early March the Parish Council was making use of the hall for its meetings and before long others were doing so to. The official opening was quietly forgotten. Later that year the first public showing of Cinematograph films took place in the Hall, with moving pictures of the Queens Funeral and the war in South Africa. The newly refurbished Hall is still used for Council Meetings and regular showings of films.
Possibly built originally as a pair of one-up one-down cottages this building was rented by the Eardisley Educational Institute from the 1870s. Supported by Mrs Perry-Herrick, the Institute provided education and recreation for the villagers. In 1923 the Institute and Coffee Tavern was donated to the Parochial Church Council by the Curzon-Herrick estate.
This is one of the largest medieval hall houses in the village, with four pairs of massive crucks, and built from timber felled between 1437 and 1473. From the mid 1800s this building housed the village blacksmith, the last being Mr Tom Burgoyne who operated the forge between 1917 and 1950.
This pair of cottages dates from the seventeenth century with mid nineteenth century additions.
Arboyne House forms a unit with the timber-framed late sixteenth century Granville House behind. Both these buildings represent encroachment onto the market square, and may originally have had a public or commercial function. Arboyne House had a bow-windowed shop front added in the eighteenth century and continued as a shop right up to the 1970s.
Originally a modest timber-framed hall this building was constructed of timber felled on or before 1513, giving a likely construction date of 1514, a relatively late date for this design of house. It has been a public house since at least the mid 1800s. Between 1888 and 1939 the pub was run by the formidable Mrs Ellen Baird, first as tenant, and following the Estate Sale, as owner.
The square in from of the Tram represents a remnant of the village market place which used to extend down as far as Bridge House. The buildings to the west of the road have encroached onto this space. The square was the site of a Turnpike House opposite The Holme to gather tolls on through traffic to Kington.
Built originally a single storey Cruck Hall, probably in the fifteenth century, this cottage had the roof raised and a floor inserted at a later date. Now a single cottage it was divided into two separate dwellings until the 1980s.
This Chapel was opened in 1867. Built on land donated by the Savekers of Chapel House it was financed by a loan made by Trustees and members of the congregation. A porch was added to the chapel in 1933 and dedicated to the memory of the first 11 Trustees, and in 1950 a descendent of the Savekers, Mrs M A Triffit, donated money to enable the chapel to build a Sunday School room on the back.
In the nineteenth century, the home of John and Elizabeth Saveker. Both were evangelical Methodist preachers. John was well known for walking miles along country lanes to take services. Elizabeth had been a teacher, but became an evangelist, working mainly in the Western Counties and South Staffordshire.
From about 1895 this house was the Police Station and the home of PC William Hadley, PC 1, of the Herefordshire Constabulary.
This impressive Cruck-framed house probably dates from the first half of the fifteenth century. One of its former residents was Colonel Walter Gale an officer of the Indian Army and once director of the Ordnance Survey in Dublin. He retired to Eardisley and devoted his time to promoting the cause of Esperanto, publishing many works and leaving his considerable fortune to this cause when he died in 1924.
These cottages were built in the nineteenth century.
In the Estate Sale of 1918 this a typical village cottage: "a detached cottage of 8 rooms with lean-to washhouse, garden, poultry yard, orchard and timber shed and let to William Tantram at £12 p.a."
This is the only house in the village which is known to have retained its original name from the eighteenth century, although the exact date of its construction is not known.
This house was built in 1936 as a home and surgery for the village doctor, Dr Miller.
These cottages probably date from the seventeenth century, although they have been altered. The Foresters Cottage in the middle of the row takes its name from the Friendly Society which was based there. Founded in 1870 under the name of Court Integrity the society provided an early health insurance scheme.
This sixteenth century building became a blacksmiths shop in the 1870s. In the inter war years much of the trade for this business was servicing the very active hunting fraternity in the area.
At the turn of the nineteenth century this building housed two shops. A drapers occupied the room to the right, while the Post Office was on the right. The house was owned by Miss Triffit, and on her death in 1962 it was sold and the money invested for the benefit of the Methodist Chapel.
The central part of this house probably has fifteenth century origins, with many additions and alterations over the next 300 years. A local tradition maintains that this building once had a monastic or religious purpose, but this seems highly unlikely.
The current building was built to replace the original timber-framed Inn destroyed by fire in 1901. The Inn had a wall alongside it and it was here that villagers would gather to be hired for farm or domestic work on the local farms and houses.
Described as the 'most significant surviving timber-framed medieval hall house in the village,' this house was built in 1443. Between 1885 and the 1920s it became a home for Orphaned Boys, first as a private charity and then under the control of the Hereford Board of Guardians.
When built this was a timber framed building of some quality and was jettied along the street front. The first floor rooms were all open to the ridge that was, and still is, richly decorated. It was probably built in the second half of the fifteenth century
The ownership of this building was closely linked to Bank house for many years. In the 1890s it was used as a shop and village Post Office. It later became a butchers shop.
A stone-fronted house of the late eighteenth or early nineteenth centuries
The current building replaced the original on the site which burned down in 1901. The site has been used by shops of some sort for nearly 200 years.
Although this house housed the village curate for a relatively short period between about 1880 ad 1920 it has retained the name.
One time home of Major Thomas Palmer, a retired army officer and brother of Canon C S Palmer. He was inaugural chair of the Educational Institute in 1876 and continued to support this until he moved from the village in 1910.
An early nineteenth century cottage used for many years as a saddlers shop. From 1886 until his death in 1937 this occupied by John Southgate who ran his business from one of the front rooms.
This cottage was occupied by the same family for almost 100 years. Edward Mason worked as the village school master in 1851, and his daughter Lucy followed the same vocation. She is commemorated by a plaque in the chancel of the Church.
Thought to be the site of the first school established in the village in 1815, this building was later divided and let at peppercorn rents to two elderly widows from the parish. It was donated to the parish by the Curzon-Herrick estate in the 1918 sale and continued in that use to 1976.
These houses may well have formed a single dwelling at one time. Within Birdswood are two bays of a medieval cruck-framed house, and almost certainly a third bay stood on the site of the Old Police House. The latter house was one of the last of a number of houses in the village rented by the Herefordshire Constabulary for the village Constable.
A timber-framed two-bay house probably built in the 17th century. From the 1840s this was the house of the Harper family. Lucy Harper was born there in 1863 and continued to run a drapers and haberdasher shop in her small front room until her death in 1951.
Probably built in the early 18th century this house also served at one time as the village Police Station
Map by Bill Davies and drawings by John Hawes.